Friday 18 July 2014

A Perception of Time ~ Aveen

Hey everyone!

It’s Aveen from The Random Life of Aveen here again! This week’s theme for Collab Sunflower as you may have seen earlier is ‘Time’ I felt this was another interesting topic which can be tackled and discussed from various angles, as you have probably seen from everyone else’s posts.
‘’People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... Time-y wimey... Stuff.’’ ~  Doctor Who
As a huge Whovian, I simply love The Doctor’s quotes, and a lot of them seem to mention the future and time.

The idea that we all have so much time on our hands seems luxurious in times where spare minutes for leisure are scarce (no pun intended) The progression of time seems to be something we all have in common, and something everyone talks about.

As a teenager, I worry a lot about time, particularly a lack of it and also ‘The Future.’ We learn about the future tense in German or Irish class but we’re never quite sure what we’re supposed to exactly do to prepare for ‘The Future.’ A quote on Tumblr that gives me shivers is this;

“Oh my God, what if you wake up some day, and you’re 65, or 75, and you never got your memoir or novel written; or you didn’t go swimming in warm pools and oceans all those years because your thighs were jiggly and you had a nice big comfortable tummy; or you were just so strung out on perfectionism and people-pleasing that you forgot to have a big juicy creative life, of imagination and radical silliness and staring off into space like when you were a kid? It’s going to break your heart. Don’t let this happen.”  ~ Annie Lamott
Perhaps what’s scary about time is how, as teenager we’re told how ‘’little time we have’’ to prepare for various things. I feel that that quote proves that point exactly. The fear of ‘underachieving’ is overwhelming and can consume me when I worry over whether I’ll achieve everything that I want to.
 I’m nearly eighteen now and my life is going by faster than I ever imagined it would. It seems like only yesterday that I was a chubby cheeked 12 year old starting secondary school with her two best friends, excited yet nervous about the latest adventure life had in store.
Now, in late August I shall be starting my sixth (and last year) in secondary school. In January I’ll be sitting my Mocks and finally in June, the Leaving Cert ie. What decides my entire future career choices. Fun isn’t it? *hyperventilates*
I was thinking about ‘Time’ for the past few days because it’s the theme but the progression of time only really struck me when I was down the town with a couple of friends after work yesterday and I saw an old primary school teacher of mine.
I live in a small town so it was quite surprising that I never bump into any of my primary school teachers, it just doesn’t happen. I realised that the last time I saw this teacher (who taught me when I was twelve) was nearly 3 years ago. It’s strange how I remember seeing my old teacher on this one day.  I was a month into Third Year and as I’ve never really been good at maths, had been placed into Ordinary Level maths instead of Honours maths.
However, my 14 year old self wasn’t too happy about that decision as I did (and to this day) all my subjects at Higher Level. So I worked extra hard on maths and started getting A’s in Ordinary Level tests (the equivalent to a C in honours) So in the first month of Third Year, I was allowed go back to Honours maths. It’s funny that the day I went back to Honours, I saw my old primary school teacher who waved and said hello.
You might be wondering, as that was three years ago (cries) what happened since. I did the Honours paper for my Junior Cert and ended up with a ‘C’ which I was delighted with, as I technically didn’t even study the Honours course for a full year.  I’m still in Honours and in my Summer exams I ended up with a C1 so I’m hoping the Leaving Cert will be something similar (Living for the 25 points)
So that's my random example of how time seems to creep up on us all. I was stunned when I realised that I left primary school in June 2009 and how secondary school has flown by so quickly. I never thought five years would go by as quickly. That said I still have a year left, so time hasn't run out too much for me!

I hope you enjoyed my little ramble,
Stay Strong, Happy and Fearless!
Aveen xx



No comments:

Post a Comment